Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Teacher poses the question: Is Everyday Math finished?

Read this post by a teacher on the PT Blog (11.13.2010): I pose this question to the PT community. I don't ask the question to debate the merits of Everyday math. There is already enough information there discussing pros and cons of Everyday Math. I will say this program is used by my district and I currently use it to teach math. With that said, the common core standards have been released. It appears that our country wants teachers to teach less topics in greater depth and is looking for more of a mastery focus. The common core standards require standard algorithms to be taught like long division. Also, students are to have their multiplication facts mastered by the end of grade 3. Everyday Math has objected to these common core standards in a public statement. It is clear to see that the new common core standards are in direct opposition to the Everyday Math curriculum. I don't see Everyday Math changing its entire philosophy. Are the days numbered for Everyday Math? Also, if school districts leave Everyday Math in what direction will they go? Singapore Math? Saxon? I'm curious what the PT community thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment